Hospitality Key Stage 4

GCSE Hospitality offers a unique opportunity in the curriculum for students to develop their knowledge and extend their skills within hospitality and catering in a vocational context.

It provides opportunities to develop students’ interdisciplinary skills, a range of key skills and their capacity for imaginative, innovative thinking, creativity and independence. It is a suitable qualification for those who want a broad background in this area and for those who wish to progress to further education. It will offer valuable preparation for those entering the world of work.

Students will complete an event based coursework task, which involves working as a team to research, plan and host a 3 course meal for guests of their choice. This will make up 60% of their GCSE, the remaining 40% will come from a 1¼ hour written exam.

The final Examination for GCSE Hospitality will be in the summer of 2018.

Year 10 Food Preparation and Nutrition Overview

Our GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition specification sets out the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook and apply the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating.

Students will be taught to make the connections between theory and practice to apply their understanding of food and nutrition to practical preparation.

The topics that will be studied are:

1.Food, nutrition and health

2.Food science

3.Food safety

4.Food choice

5.Food provenance.

The range of food and ingredients studied should reflect the recommended guidelines for a healthy diet based on the main food commodity groups. Food groups include:

  • bread, cereals, flour, oats, rice, potatoes and pasta
  • fruit and vegetables (fresh, frozen, dried, canned and juiced)
  • milk, cheese and yoghurt
  • meat, fish, eggs, soya, tofu, beans, nuts and seeds
  • butter, oil, margarine, sugar and syrup.

The course is made up of 50% Non Examined Assessment (NEA) and 50 % exam (to be taken at the end of Year 11).

Theory Topics
Intro/Breads, Cereals and Potatoes
Meat, Fish and Alternatives
Milk and Dairy
Fruit and Vegetables
Sugar Lesson
Fat Lesson
Functions of Ingredients – Aeration, Coagulation, Emulsification, Shortening

 

Practical Work
Greek Pasta Practical
Chicken Tikka Masala Practical
Lemon Cake Practical
Quesadillas Practical
Shortbread Practical
Chocolate Muffins Practical
Halloween Themed Practical
Swiss Roll
Calzone Pizza
Flavoured Bread
Winter themed practical

 

 

Year 11 Curriculum OverviewSubject ContentPractical Skills
Term 1Section 2 of Coursework – students work as a team to plan their event, this includes; invitations, menus, dietary questionnaires, comment cards, recipes, risk assessment.
Students host the event – 1 day off timetable (worth 30% of the overall course).
Evaluation of the event – students’ record, what went well on the day, how they worked as a team, what they would change if they were to repeat the event and what they have learnt from the overall experience.
All practical work will now be in preparation for the GCSE event. Once students have decided on their theme, they will choose their menu. Students will practice a dish from their menu each week until the event.
Term 2Completion of GCSE coursework.
Begin revision for GCSE examination.
Term 3Revision for GCSE examination.