Head of Mathematics: Mr G Sarwar
Progress Lead: Ms T Khan
Teachers of Mathematics
- Mr S Ali
- Mr A Hakiman
- Mr J Gosling
- Ms S Smith
- Mr S Mahmud
- Learning Support Assistant: Ms N Martin
- Learning Support Assistant: Mr R Taylor
Mathematics is fundamental to life in the sense that its unique language helps us to calculate, estimate and problem-solve. It also informs many of the choices and decisions we make about real-life issues and challenges and the actions we subsequently take. Students at Stretford High will develop their problem solving strategies which can be used in Maths and applied to everyday and real world situations.
Key Stage 3
The curriculum has been designed to spend more time on fewer topics, focussing on using mathematics principles to problem – solve. Students will acquire knowledge, understanding and skills for the following topic areas:
- Shape, Space and Measure
- Data Handling
Key Stage 4
(Click here to visit the exam board website)
Students will study either the Edexcel Foundation or Higher course. Both courses cover Number and Algebra, Shape, Space and Measure, and Data Handling. GCSE Mathematics gives students the opportunity to develop the ability to:
- Acquire and use problem-solving strategies
- Select and apply mathematical techniques and methods in mathematical, every day and real – world situations
- Reason mathematically, make deductions and inferences and draw conclusions
- Interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of forms appropriate to the information and context.
Mathematics is useful and beneficial for those thinking of studying A-Level or a career in:
Mathematics, Physics, Actuary, Medical Sciences, Engineering, Business, Statistics, Accountancy, Market research, Finance, Insurance, Banking, Computer Software design.