SHS News 10/11/23
Dear Parents/Carers and Students
We hope that you enjoy reading this week’s SHS News HERE
For hyperlinks please use the PDF version here: SHS News 10 November 2023
Please read the information letter from Mrs Doward and note the next academic holiday dates are now on the website.
Lest we forget – A student representation from SHS will attend at the Centotaph on Chester Road, Sunday 11th November in honour of Remembrance Sunday. A warm welcome is extended to our school community to join this event.
Have a lovely weekend.
Stretford High School
SUMMARY NEWS (for translation)
This summary captures key updates from the SHS weekly newsletter, including messages from the Headteacher, school activities, upcoming events, and other important announcements.
- Headteacher Mrs Doward emphasised the value of the Thinking Moves strategy (AHEAD, BACK, CONNECT) in facilitating children’s learning. She acknowledged the importance of Remembrance Day and encouraged respect and empathy within the school community.
- The Trafford School Nursing Team visited Stretford High to educate students about the health effects of vaping and associated risks.
- Remembrance Day activities included Stretford High School’s participation in the annual service at the Cenotaph on Chester Road, with Year 11 and Year 8 students playing key roles.
- Mock exams for Year 11 and the first English Language assessment for Year 10 will commence from 20th November to 1st December 2023. The mock assessment timetable can be found on the linked website.
- The school announced a Scholastic Book Fair, which will run from 20th to 23rd November, featuring a wide range of books and stationery.
- Year 8 students participated in STEM activities facilitated by the Blair Project, showcasing their enthusiasm and curiosity.
- In a class project, GCSE Psychology students visualized the study conducted by Cooper and Mackie on the effect of video games on children’s aggressive behavior.
- Year 10 historians learned about Henry Ford and Mass Production during the Economic Boom in America through practical, assembly line biscuit-making activities.
- Year 9 students participated in a national competition related to languages, organized by GCHQ to highlight the importance of MFL for careers.
- Nine Year 9 students from the Digital Futures Academy (DFA) explored data security and virtual reality in their recent sessions.
- The school celebrated Power of You Day on 20.10.23, raising £255.76 for earthquake victims in Turkey and Syria.
- Year 11 sixth form open days are scheduled for various colleges and universities. The details are available in the linked document.
- The school nurse drop-ins will start from 15th November in room 0.16.
- Parents are invited to a Year11 Workshop in the Hub 20th November 2023.